Gary E. Schwartz is a professor of psychology, medicine, neurology, psychiatry and surgery at the University of Arizona in Tucson and is the director of its Laboratory for Advances in Consciousness and Health. In addition to teaching courses on health and spiritual psychology, he is Corporate Director of Development of Energy Healing at Canyon Ranch Resort & Spa in Tucson and collaborates with the resort on bioscience and energy healing research. In 2002, he received a $1.8 million award from the National Center on Complementary and Alternative Medicine of the National Institutes of Health to create a Center for Frontier Medicine in Biofield Science at the University of Arizona. He directed the center for four years.
He is chairman of Eternea (www.eternea.org), a research, education and outreach organization focused on the physics of consciousness and its survival after death. Eternea was founded by Dr. Eben Alexander III, author of best-seller Proof of Heaven about his near-death experience, and John R. Audette, a veteran of hospital and hospice administration, physician practice management, public broadcasting and the performing arts who founded the International Association for Near-Death Studies Inc.
Dr. Schwartz also has held professor positions at Yale University and Harvard University and visiting professor positions at the University of California Medical School in San Francisco and the University of British Columbia. He has published more than 450 scientific papers, has co-edited 11 academic books and has published books as an author, including The Energy Healing Experiments (2007), which won the Gold Medal in the Nautilus Book Awards. He received a Young Psychologist Award and an Early Career Award for Distinguished Research from the American Psychological Association. He has served on many boards and was president of the Biofeedback Society of America and the Health Psychology Division of the American Psychological Association. In 2004, he received a Distinguished Scientist Award for Energy Psychology from the Association for Comprehensive Energy Psychology and in 2006 a Distinguished Scientist Award from the United States Psychotronic Association.
He has been interviewed on hundreds of radio shows as well as network TV shows such as Dateline and Good Morning America and has been the subject of documentaries on HBO, Discovery and other networks.
- Bachelor’s degree, pre-medicine, major in psychology, minor in chemistry, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York
- Master’s degree, clinical psychology Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Honorary degree, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut
- The Living Energy Universe: A Fundamental Discovery that Transforms Science and Medicine, Schwartz, G.E.R. and Russek, L.G.S. (1999)
- The Afterlife Experiments, Schwartz, G.E., with Simon, W.L. (2002)
- The Truth about Medium: Extraordinary Experiments with the real Allison DuBois of NBC’s Medium and other Remarkable Psychics, Schwartz, G.E., with Simon, W.L. (2005)
- The G.O.D. Experiments: How Science Is Discovering God In Everything, Including Us, Schwartz, G.E., with Simon. W.L. (2006)
- The Energy Healing Experiments: Science Reveals Our Natural Power to Heal, Schwartz, G. E., with Simon, W.L. (2008)
- The Sacred Promise: How Science Is Discovering Spirit’s Collaboration with Us in Our Daily Lives, Schwartz, G. E. (2011)
- Stek, R.J., and Schwartz, G.E. (2011) “Conan Doyle and Harry Houdini, A Continuing Friendship? Part I: History,” Journal of Spirituality and Paranormal Studies
- Schwartz, G.E., and Stek, R.J. (2011) “Conan Doyle and Harry Houdini, A Continuing Friendship? Part II. Contemporary Evidence from Afterlife Science,” Journal of Spirituality and Paranormal Studies
- Schwartz, G.E. (2011) “Possible causal mechanisms in the occurrence of synchronicities: Testing the spirit-assistance hypothesis,” Journal of Spirituality and Paranormal Studies
- Schwartz, G.E. (2012) “From parapsychology to post-materialist psychology: The emerging integrative science of consciousness, spirit and soul,” Journal of Parapsychology
- Beauregard, M., Schwartz, G.E., Miller, L., et al. (2014) “Manifesto for a Post-Materialist Science,” EXPLORE: Journal of Consciousness and Healing, opensciences.org